The “Palais Universitaire” in Strasbourg is part and main building of the German Imperial University built between 1879 and 1884. Originally, the building was richly decorated with statues and wall painting, but most of the first have been destroyed by the French when they annexed Alsace after First World War, while they covered the second under an awful beige paint. Restoration of the decoration has begun since 1989, though it goes slowly: the hall has been the first to get back its painting, while new statues of Germania and Argentina have been replaced on the facade in 2013. The very scene depicted in this photography don’t exist any longer, as the basement has been restored around 2012.
Incidentally, there is in this basement a big collection of plaster casts of Antique sculpture, in what is now the Adolf Michaelis Museum. When you know that another institution in the city, the Oeuvre Notre-Dame, own also a huge collection of plaster cast related to medieval sculpture, one could regret that exhibit both collections in one big glyptotheque.
Tools and exifs:
- Canon EOS 450D + Canon 18-55mm IS
- Speed parameter irrelevant
- ISO 100